Humanitarian affairs minister launches N20,000 grant disbursement in Anambra

The minister said the cash grant for vulnerable groups was introduced by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2020.

0

Mrs Sadiya Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, on Tuesday in Awka launched the disbursement of N20,000 cash grant to some residents in Anambra.

A total of 3,222 persons are expected to benefit from the facility in Anambra.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Farouq was represented at the launch by Mr Charles Anaelo, a Deputy Director in the ministry.

The minister said the cash grant for vulnerable groups was introduced by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2020.

The programme, which is being implemented in close partnerships with state governments, was designed to lift poor and vulnerable Nigerians from abject poverty, she said.

“The project is aimed at sustaining the social inclusion agenda. It is expected to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.

“The N20,000 is a one-off cash grant to the poorest and most vulnerable Nigerians in rural and semi-urban areas across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“It is worthy of note that 70 per cent of these beneficiaries must be women, while the remaining 30 per cent are youths.

“Mr President has further directed that at least 15 per cent of the total number of beneficiaries must specifically be allocated to citizens with special needs, including persons with disability and senior citizens.”

The minister also officially commenced the Roll-Out of the Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme (GEEP 2.0), to fight poverty in the country.

“The GEEP is designed for vulnerable and low-income Nigerians who are involved in some sort of commercial activity but have never had the opportunity to access loans.

“The programme has three signature loan schemes including TraderMoni – N50,000, MarketMoni – N50,000 and FarmerMoni – N300,000.

“Anambra has a total of 5,545 registered beneficiaries who are currently undergoing enumeration processes in their various Local governments,” she said.

Also speaking, Gov. Chukwuma Soludo thanked the federal government for launching the N-SIP designed to reduce poverty and inequality in the state and the country at large.

Soludo, who was represented by Ms Chiamaka Nnake, Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, urged residents to key into various national social investment programmes mapped out by the federal government.