190 Schoolgirls Remain Missing, Not 77 – Principal

0

boko-haram-300x168

About 190 schoolgirls remain missing after being abducted last week by Boko Haram insurgents, their head teacher, Asabe Kwabura, told the British Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.

She said the parents of 230 girls had reported them missing but that 40 had managed to escape from the insurgents.

The 190 figure is far more than   the 77 given earlier by government officials.

The Associated Press had reported that parents of the pupils of Government Secondary School, Chibok told Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima when he visited on Monday, that 234 girls were abducted.

When news first emerged of the kidnap last Tuesday, initial reports said more than 200 students were abducted, but state officials said the correct figure was about 130.

The students, aged between 16 and 18 were about to sit their final year examinations when the insurgents invaded their school.

Kwabura told the BBC Hausa service that about 40 fled their captors.

“None of these girls was rescued by the military; they managed to escape on their own from their abductors,” she said.

Asked about the conflicting reports on the number of students kidnapped, she said: “Only reports that come from us is the truth and based on the register we have on paper.”

She had previously called on the kidnappers to “have mercy on the students”.

Before visiting Chibok on Monday, Shettima said that eight more girls had escaped over the weekend, meaning a total 52 had fled.

One of the parents, Shettima Haruna, told Shettima that they had been having sleepless nights since the incident happened.

You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More